How to Measure Blinds?
Are you on the hunt for new window treatments that are a perfect fit? Accurate measurements are the first step in any project. Measure and size your window for custom blinds and shades, and you'll be done in no time. Custom window treatments will fit perfectly if measurements are taken accurately. Your house will have a more refined appearance with this addition.
Way to Measure Inside Mount Blinds & Shades
For inside-mount blinds, precision measurement is essential. Fortunately, there are three simple steps to getting measurements:
- The width of the window frame can be measured in three places: at the top, center, and bottom of the frame. Some windows aren't perfect, and that's why. Take the smallest of the three width measurements, rounded down to the nearest ⅛".
- To get an accurate height measurement, stand with your back to a wall and take two separate measurements on each side. Take the smallest of the two width measurements, rounded down to the nearest ⅛".
- Determine the maximum depth of the blinds by measuring the depth of the window. Minimum 2 ¾" of window frame depth required.
- Please use the exact measurements and make NO adjustments or deductions. Your blinds or shades will be custom-made in our factory to fit your window precisely and operate correctly.
- Make sure your window has sufficient depth (min. 2 3/4") to support a flush inside installation.
- Make sure to take multiple measurements across the width and height of the window.
- The cassette will be 1'' wider than the fabric. The measurement you take is for the cassette. Contact us if you need further assistance with measuring.
What about Outside Mount Blinds & Shades?
Ensure you have enough wall space when measuring for outside mount blinds. To obtain precise measurements, follow these steps:
- Minimum clearance of 2” of flat surface above the window frame is required.
- Calculate the total area to be covered before beginning. You should measure both the window's width and height.
- The size you ordered is the size of the product, cassette size included.
- To achieve the best possible light control and privacy, consider extending the width on each side by 2" to 3" (or more if there's room). It is also a good idea to extend the blinds outside of the window, giving the impression that the window is larger than it is.
How to Decide Between Inside or Outside Mount
Before you begin taking measurements, you must decide whether you will be putting the window treatment inside or outside of the window frame. The advantages and disadvantages of each installation method are listed below to assist you in making a decision.
Choosing Inside or Outside Mount
Measure to the nearest 1/8-inch with a metal tape measure. Make sure you don't round the number down. Installation of interior mount window treatments takes place within the window frame. Draperies mounted outside the window are commonly used in conjunction with them. A neat, streamlined appearance can be achieved with inside mounts as well. They don't offer as much control over light as do external mounts.
Externally-mounted window treatments are those that are attached to the window frame rather than inside of it. It's a popular choice if the blinds are the only window covering. Extending them beyond the window allows for the most precise control of ambient light.
Custom Blinds & Shades ( Short vs Long Versions)
The cost of replacing window treatments can be high. In terms of a polished appearance and long-term durability, custom blinds or shades are the gold standards in the business. It doesn't matter if you want a long or a short custom blind or shade; it's all made to your specifications. Because of this, you won't have any gaps where light can get in through your window treatments.
Pro Tips How to Measuring Blinds & Shades
When you’re trying to measure windows for blinds, there are a few factors to keep in mind:
- Before measuring, decide whether you want an interior or an exterior mount. Make sure you measure both ways before making a final decision.
- The accuracy of a steel measuring tape is far superior to that of a cloth one.
- Measurements should always be taken down to the nearest eighth of an inch. Don't use a half- or whole-inch rounding error.
- Make sure you don't mix up the numbers.
- Make sure the width and height of everything you do are delineated.
- Always begin with your width measurement and end with your height (W x H).
Other Special Considerations
Roller & Solar Shades
Measure the distance from the top of the window opening to the closest 1/8" measurement. From the apex of the window opening to the bottom of the sill, determine the interior window opening's height. Measure from the top of the window to where you would like the blind to stop. As far out as you'd like your headrail to stretch, take a distance measurement. A product's cloth width may be up to 1-3/8" smaller than the measurement specified, depending on the product. Contacting customer service will yield the precise amount of fabric deducted. To ensure that as little light escapes through the window opening, the blind should extend 4 inches beyond the width.
A 1/8" measurement of the window opening's top width is all that is required. Measure the length of the window opening from the highest point to the bottom of the window sill three times. You should take three measurements: one on the left, one in the centre, and one on the right. The shortest measurement should be used, and it should be rounded down to the nearest 1/8 inch.
Measure the distance between the trim's far left and far right edges. End mount brackets on wood, faux wood, aluminum, and other products must be subtracted from the measurement by 1/4" to allow the trim to accommodate the frames. If you want some trim to show, check the window opening and afterwards, add the amount of trim you'd like concealed to every side of the window opening measurement.
Where to Buy Smart Window Blinds?
Now that you know how to measure windows for blinds, visit Go Smart Blinds, your one-stop shop for motorized shades of the highest quality. Everyday convenience is at your fingertips when you use Go Smart Blinds smart window shades. Your window decoration will always be at the proper height with our intelligent window blinds. Simple to install, we can have you enjoying the benefits of privacy and light control in no time.